Skip to main content

Always Have Something To Look Forward To

Sometimes, I really struggle to stay neutral instead of freaking out about the little inconveniences in life. I think the lifelong battle with depression has something to do with that, but the point is that I tend to see the crummy circumstances rather than the silver lining.

However, my oldest is almost the total opposite of me in this area. She manages to find the good in so many things. She has a condition that causes tumors and though it's been hard, she takes it in stride. I remember that, when she was really little, I was trying to prepare her for the MRI. The conversation went something like this:

"Remember, you're going to be poked in the arm and have to drink that really yucky drink. And you can't eat or drink the night before so you're gonna be really hungry and thirsty."

"OK, Mommy. But can I ask you something?"

(Holding back tears as I think of how hard MRI days are) "Go ahead, sweetie."

"Is that the place that had the room full of toys that I could play in?"

If I had that kind of attitude, I'd be so much more thankful. Too often I take things for granted.

I was talking to my husband about how hard it is for me in the mornings. I told him every morning, my default mentality is "Ugh, another day of this?" like living is a burden for me. I'm surrounded by this beautiful family, in a house that God blessed us with, and yet my mornings are still punctuated by this feeling of frustration.

On the flipside, my daughter is CONSTANTLY telling me what she looks forward to.

"Mommy, I can't wait until my daddy-daughter date."

"Mommy, I can't wait for school."

"Mommy, I can't wait til we go to grandma and grandpa's house."

No anxiety about social interactions, no fear that things will go wrong. Just a constant expectation that things will be great, fun, and amazing.

I try to picture what my days would be like if I had an attitude like that. Not, "I don't want to see people today," but "I can't wait for this party because I'll get to see people I love." Not, "I am worried about how much our car will cost to fix," but "I can't wait to see what God's going to do in our lives through this circumstance".

It really reminds me of the time Corrie Ten Boom's sister thanked God for the fleas. Much like me, Corrie didn't understand at the time and even balked at the thought of thanking God for something that seemed to be making her life more miserable. God used that, though. (If you're unfamiliar with this story, this blog explains it well: Betsie and the Fleas )

I know that Jesus told Saul, "Why do you kick against the goads?" (I'm paraphrasing Acts 26:14.)

I find myself doing that, and I wonder how much better it would be, even in difficulty, if I would just accept the hard times as from the hand of God (Job 2:10).

I shouldn't struggle against what God's will for my life is, and I shouldn't be so resistant that I make it difficult for Him to achieve what He wants (or take the long way around like with the stubborn children of Israel). He doesn't need me to help Him along and yet I find myself panicking on the regular, that somehow everything's gonna go awry.

God has promised that He will work all things for the good of those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose (Rom 8:28). I need to remember that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When you're done before the day even begins

Have you guys ever had that kind of day, or is it just me? I'm having one of those days right now. I have never found a good solution to this feeling. Usually, I handle it by being secretly (or not-so-secretly) grumpy about all the things I have to do in a day, and the inconvenience of needing to do them when I'm either not in the mood or not feeling great physically. I didn't want to get up today. Didn't want to wake up early, just to take the kids to school and deal with the social awkwardness of interacting with other moms who are too busy to really talk anyway. I didn't want to face the mom who dragged me into a booster club meeting, just to be one of the last to show up. I don't want to drive 20 minutes, using gas money we don't have, to go to a school where I can't volunteer in my kids' classes anyway because I have my youngest with me, and I don't want to be forced to walk around a shopping center looking at things we can't afford, j

Princess Advice on Finding That Special Someone

"Sometimes we fall for a guy who is so different from us, the relationship would never work out. If you have to have him, try changing up your look. Easier said than done, I know, but I'm sure you can find some sketchy person to help you. Trade that voice and those fins for some legs and presto, you'll find the man you always knew you needed since three days ago." - Ariel "Honey, don't hop around looking for something to fulfill you, or trying to make your daddy proud. When you find that special someone, you both have to be willing to change... And you might have to kiss a frog or two before you find your prince." - Tiana "Why would I want or need a husband? I've seen the men in my kingdom, they're a lot of dunderheids." - Merida "If someone hurts your family, don't assume they're a monster. Give them a chance. If they love books and fight wolves, how bad can they be?" - Belle "I was tired of looking arou

It's Been a Crazy Year

Before the year even started, I was knocked off-kilter by an announcement from my pastor of 20+ years, that he felt led to leave our church in order to help out at his late father-in-law's church. Shortly afterward, he called me into his office to ask if I was willing to step into a youth leader role. I'd always wanted to be a youth pastor and even though I'd have to do it without him there, it was an answer to a calling that was placed in my heart as a teenager. I was so thankful for the time I had with those teens, despite the ups and downs that were happening at the church itself. A new pastor was selected, and I felt the process was hurried (even though we'd been almost 8 months without a pastor). We were given only one option and I thought this didn't seem very fair to the church, but I hoped for the best. Without going into detail, after meeting the senior pastor and spending some time talking with him, my husband and I made the very painful decision to leave